Getting a Kanada ETA

If you are looking to travel to Canada, then you will need an ETA. You may have seen discussions about the Kanada ETA (in German, the electronic travel authorisation for Canada is called the Kanada ETA), and how to apply for it. This is something that you should research carefully – because there are a lot of sites that offer support for applying, but really you can get the ETA Through the official Canadian government website, and you do not need to pay a third party to get it.

Applying for the ETA does cost money – there is a nominal fee of $7 CAD (as of March 2018), but that is all that you would need to pay. Do not waste money on third party services that will check and send your application for you – the application process is self-explanatory and you would be wasting time and money when really you could just as easily fill out the form yourself. Indeed, filling it out yourself will likely be quicker, and if there are any issues with the application form they will be resolved more quickly if there is no middle man to deal with.

The requirements to apply for an ETA are quite basic – you will need a passport that is valid, as well as a credit or debit card to make the online payment. You will need an email address to handle the application through, and you will need to fill out a simple online application form, answering a few questions to prove your identity and explain the trip you are taking, so that you can be pre-qualified for the flight.

In most cases, the ETA will be processed within minutes. If there is an issue with your application you should get an email within 72 hours that explains what the issue is, and that will tell you what to do next. This email may mistakenly go to your spam folder, so if you don’t get a response to your ETA application quickly, be sure to keep checking it.

if you get your ETA, then you will be able to fly to Canada while the ETA is valid. The ETA is linked to your passport, so if you change your passport then you will need to re-apply for an ETA. If you have two passports, then you will need to use the correct one when boarding flights to Canada.